Are you eating right, exercising and still feeling blah?
Unfortunately, it’s common for us to feel unwell even though we do all the things we are told are the right things.
The answer to this issue is improving our wellbeing.
When we feel a bit run down we tend to baby ourselves. Allowing some extra sleeping time and eating things we don’t normally indulge in. Some do turn to wellness by eating better and exercising. However, for 93% of the population, it isn’t enough.
Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social wellbeing, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. ~World Health Organization
What is the difference between Wellness and Wellbeing?
Most of us use the term wellbeing and wellness interchangeably, but there is a distinctive difference.
Wellbeing refers to a more holistic, whole of life experience, whereas wellness refers to physical health.
Wellbeing is a good feeling condition of existence. A state characterized by your health, happiness, and prosperity.
Wellness is the quality or state of being healthy in body and mind, as a result of deliberate effort.
While wellbeing includes wellness, and you can’t have one without the other.
In 2006 I was most 200 pounds. That’s quite heavy for my 5’5″ frame. I was feeling aches and pains all over. My headaches were constant, and I was popping pills to get through the day. I was only in my mid 30’s, and this didn’t feel good!
I decided to get serious about taking off the weight. I felt unbalanced, unhappy, and unfulfilled.
It took me 6 months to lose 60 pounds. Most would think I would be celebrating this great achievement, but after losing the weight, my happiness was short-lived.
Losing the weight did not cure my unhappiness. I still felt empty and exhausted. Apparently, it was going to take more than wellness get me out of my rut.
That’s when I discovered the importance of achieving wellbeing. Unfortunately, I wasn’t alone in my struggle with looking for a way to feel well. Only 7% of the population has achieved wellbeing in their life.
Since that time several years ago, I’m proud to say I’ve joined those who have figured out how to FEEL as good “inside” as I LOOK on the “outside.”
Here are 9 things I did to achieve health, wellness, and wellbeing.
9 Things You Can Do to Achieve Health, Wellness, and Wellbeing
- Workout. Is your body regularly sore? Go for a walk, a run–what you do doesn’t matter as long as you are moving and enjoying it. Make it fun and do it for at least 30 minutes, 6 times per week.
- Calm the chaos. Do you feel pulled in a hundred directions? Life and work can be stressful, how you handle it makes all the difference in the world. Exercise and meditation will help you control your physical and mental response to it. Since heart disease and cancer are closely related to the amount of stress we allow to invade our daily lives, it is critical that you learn to manage your stress. Here’s an article on 10 Ways to Reduce Stress.
- Eat and drink good stuff. Do you get hangry? Eating at regular intervals of two and a half to three hours during your waking hours will keep you feeling energized and balanced. Drink at least 10 glasses of water. Yes, I am very much aware of the recommended 8 glasses per day, but I’ve learned that’s not enough. Headaches, bad moods, and reactiveness are all affected by dehydration so drink up, and drink often. Here’s an article on How to Manage Your Energy where I share an amazing morning routine for tremendous amounts of fuel to get you through the day.
- Enjoy quality “Me” time. Do you feel drained and disconnected more often than not? Invest more time engaging with HOW you are feeling physically and mentally. It is recommended you dedicate at least 15 minutes per day to yourself if your life is not stressful. The more stressful it is, the more time you want to allow for “Me Time.”
- Enjoy quality “We” time. Do you feel alone or lonely? Make time to surround yourself with people who love and support you. Loneliness is as dangerous as obesity and smoking to your health. We Time feels good and studies also show it extends your life span and fulfills you.
- Love where you live. Does your home make you feel appreciated or tolerated? It is important to create a home environment you enjoy spending time in. If you live with others, create a private space that speaks to your likes and dislikes.
- Love where you work. Do you love what your job does for you but hate the work you do? We cannot always control the amount of stress we are under at work, but we can always control how much we allow it to affect us. We spend most of our waking hours at work, so it’s important that you find a way to make the best of your time there. As Maya Angelou says, “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change the way you feel about it.”
- Look good. When we look good we feel good, right? It may take a little extra effort, but it’s well worth it. Especially when you walk into a room with confidence because you feel good about the way you look. This isn’t about being the beautiful person in the room; it’s about feeling like the BOMB-digity when you walk into a room.
- Be happy. Do you feel like there’s nothing you can do to feel better? Feeling good feels better than feeling bad, so reach for those great feeling feelings at every opportunity. At the very least reach for contentment whenever possible. If you are having trouble getting over something, take a deeper look at what is going on. Here’s a great article, “Can You Choose Happy,” where I share a simple method for reaching up for that next higher feeling.
When all is said and done, we all want to enjoy our life journey. We want to know we were seen. We want to know we mattered. We want to know we were loved.
I propose we live each day remembering what we want to feel and allow that to rule what we do, say and to whom, because living with anything less is a waste of life.
Do you agree? I’d love to know your ah-has, comments, questions, and thoughts below in the comments section.
Until next time, live with passion, purpose, and play.
Carmen M. Perez, Your Wellbeing Messenger
Personal Success Mentor
Growth ~ Marketing ~ Performance
Author, Motivational Speaker, Mentor, Mother, Wife, and Lover of Life
P.S. Would you like to get what you want and achieve the success you desire without sacrificing your health, wealth, and happiness? Enter your name and email address to receive the 11 Steps to Creating Priorities for Fulfillment and Meaning so you can stop living by default and start living by design.
Do you struggle with your health, wealth, or happiness?
If you’d like to learn new ways of thinking and doing so you can create a life worth living and stop struggling to feel as good inside, as things look on the outside, take a look at my book, Be a Spiritual Girl in a Material World: Achieve Radical Personal Success Without Sacrificing Your Health, Wealth, and Happiness.
In it I offer a new way to manage your day and your life so you can achieve the success you desire without sacrificing your wellbeing.
Related quotes to consider sharing: