Are you working with focus and intention on building your travel agency?
There is a lot of chaos and distraction out there but I believe it only has an effect on us when we don’t have a purpose.
And if we don’t have a purpose to drive us, we risk exposure to the busyness that fills our days but doesn’t help us move further ahead.
All Tasks Are Not Created Equal
As a travel agent, your work purpose is to build a highly profitable and successful travel agency. You fulfill that purpose by focusing on the tasks where your combined efforts help you achieve your goals.
FASTasks = Focused Action Success Tasks
These are high impact tasks that help you achieve your higher goals.
We hear all the time how “busy” we are doing “urgent” things. Urgent things for clients, spouses, family, friends, and to meet our obligations to others.
Unfortunately, the “urgent” tasks – the things people ask us to do to help them achieve their goals, become the priority. Not the “important” things that will contribute to building a highly profitable travel business.
The “important” things, unfortunately, have to wait for the “urgent” things to get done.
Urgent v. Important
Looking at your to-do list now, you may be asking yourself how do you know the difference between the two. Here are a few things to consider when going through your to-do list.
- Does thinking of the task make you feel excited? Urgent things feel heavy and important things feel light.
- Does completing the task make a direct impact on your higher goals? Urgent tasks often relate to someone else’s end goals, while important tasks relate to achieving your higher goals.
- Does the task feel like it fits easily into your day? Urgent things are loud and intrusive, while important things are quiet and satisfying.
If you don’t respond to these questions with a resounding yes, then it is an urgent task that can wait until you take care of the important tasks that empower you to achieve your goals.
I’m not saying to abandon the urgent things. We are human, of course, we care, but that doesn’t mean we have to give up anything because we do.
How to Work With Purpose for More Travel Agency Success
To make the most of your energy and time, establish clear boundaries that allow you to do the important things, then free yourself to manage the urgent things. Before you know it you will make great strides towards achieving your goals. Here are a few ways you can do that.
- Start your mornings in silence. Give yourself 20 minutes to just sit with your thoughts. Fight the urge to start your day by checking email. In fact, do not check your email until you have completed all of your important tasks for the day. I know this is difficult to do if you’re used to managing your day this way.
A fear that you’re missing something may arise. I get it and if you can’t focus because of it, it’s better just to check and get it over with. Then close it and move forward with what you need to do to achieve what you want.
- Block time in your schedule to do the important FASTasks. Schedule dedicated time in your calendar to work on the tasks that will move you and your travel business forward. Think of the tasks that will help you personally and professionally develop more into who you need to be, or know, to achieve what you want.
- Create a FASTask List. One of the other big issues I see with travel agency owners not achieving their goals, is they don’t work with purpose.
This happens when we get trapped in the busyness and this increases the distance between where we are and where we want to be.
- Create a plan. Once you’re done with your list of tasks to be complete to achieve your goal, block time in your schedule to care for each of the tasks.
- Do the work. It’s one thing to plan, but entirely another to achieve. When it’s time to do the work, you must do the work.
It’s that simple to achieve your goals. Please know I realize that doesn’t make it easy. But when you know what you need to do to achieve your goals, you know how to make the best investments of your time.
FASTask | Work With Purpose in Your Travel Agency
What are the FASTasks that you’ll focus on this week
to move yourself and your travel agency forward?
Follow steps 1 through 4 above, for all of your goals and embrace that ease that comes with knowing each day how to fulfill your work purpose to build a highly profitable and successful travel agency.
Once you do this work, all you have to do is show up each day and do the work. Then repeat the process again and again.
Those who manage their energy well, are the ones who close the gap and create new and bolder visions, check the boxes, achieve their higher goals and arrive where they want to be – on the other side of all of this, where your travel agency is already a wild success and highly profitable.